Cristiano Ronaldo claims that the Ballon D’Or and The Best awards are losing their credibility after Lionel Messi won both prizes for 2023.
Lionel Messi won the eighth Ballon d’Or of his career in November after finishing above Erling Haaland. The Argentina legend also was crowned The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2023 last week, despite Haaland winning the treble and scoring 52 goals last season.
Erling Haaland was named the Best Men’s Player at the Globe Soccer Awards, while Cristiano Ronaldo won three Globe Soccer awards on Friday.
In an interview with Portuguese sports paper Record, Ronaldo said FIFA and France Football awards are losing credibility after they snubbed him. The 38-year-old Ronaldo finished 2023 as world’s top goalscorer with 54 goals.
Ronaldo told Record: “It’s not to say that Messi didn’t deserve it. or Haaland or even Mbappe… but the numbers are there and the numbers don’t deceive. You have to consider the entire season.“
Portuguese legend also said his critics thought he was ‘lost’ following Manchester United banishment, but he proved them wrong in Saudi Arabia.
“The numbers are facts. If you go back and see what happened at Manchester United and the national team, people actually considered me lost… But the truth is that I focused and had a great period at Al Nassr. that’s why I scored 54 goals”.
Ronaldo and his team Al Nassr are set to face Lionel Messi and Inter Miami in a friendly on February 1.